Friday, September 4, 2009

Alone with Him


"I sleep deeply on my straw mattress, something I never experienced before. The first night I did not feel very secure and I thought that before morning i would roll out of one side or the other, but nothing happened, and now my bed seems delightful to me. If you only knew how quickly time passes in Carmel, and yet it seems to me that I have always lived in this dear house. I can't find words to express my happiness. Here, there is no longer anything but Him. He is All. He suffices and we live by Him alone. I find Him everywhere, while doing the wash as well as while praying. Just picture to yourself Elizabeth in her little cell which is so dear to her; it is our sanctuary, just for HIM and for me... "
Blessed Elizabeth
September 11, 1901 (letter 91)

"... Each of you is to have a separate cell, situated as the lie of the land you propose to occupy may dictate, and allotted by the disposition of the Prior with the agreement of the other brothers, or the more mature among them"- Rule, Chapter 6

" Each one of you is to stay in his own cell or nearby, pondering the Lord's law day and night and keeping watch at his prayers unless attending to some other duty." - Rule, Chapter 10

No comments: